Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Such fine people
First attempt. Comments welcomed. Thanks for the listen.

Just a note to those who still not aware there are phase problems in this song on the e-guitar and the basses. This is the first time I hear it, so I just want to share it with you. Truth be told, phase is like my gf, mysterious, unpredictable, moody, and impossible to...control Smile. I could never hear it or recognize it. Pros try to teach but I never understood it. the most I ever did was flipped that polarity and if it sounded good I just left it there. I learned nothing by doing that. I learn better with actual sounds. They say they can hear phase problem "a mile" away. I was like, no way man, no one can hear that. But they do, so what is the real secret here? Well, the "secret" is in knowing what to look for and actually hear it. That's it. Fixing it is another story altogether. This note is for the benefit of those who still don't know.

How to find it in this song: put the basses up, amped and DI, just themselves. Listen (it takes a few tries) to the wobbling uneven sound sometimes thicker sometimes thinner, I sometimes even hear weird stuffs. That is the sound of phase. Pay attention to the lower end first, then the mid, and finally the hi. It happens more on the lower end bc of the wavelength being longer. Try to commit that sound to your memory. It'll help you catch it quicker next time around. First try to flip the polarity. I did. Nothing happened. Then I try to do it by eyes (very painful) by zooming in and try to line them up. Took some time but the results are well worth it. Then repeat the process with the e-guitars. You'll hear it.

I was able to pan the guitar wider, and it sound more powerful with the low mid where the E & A strings on guitar live. I did exactly the same with the bass (I used both). Once that is done, it was easier to work with EQ and compression bc the bass is stabilized. I still have to work to get it sound nice but I work without worrying about anything. And yeah, it's annoying when phase happens.

I am no expert so that's all I know. If anyone feels they can add to it, you are more than welcome to add and share your experience. Thanks for reading.

Btw, I added another version. Man, the song is just so good. The more I listen to it the more I want to mix it better. So...yeah! Smile

.mp3    suchfinepeople-sonictramp.mp3 --  (Download: 9.11 MB)

.mp3    suchfinepeople-sonictramp_1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.11 MB)

.mp3    suchfinepeople-sonictramp_2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.11 MB)

Messages In This Thread
Such fine people - by SonicTramp - 17-02-2021, 11:08 PM
RE: Such fine people - by BKM - 18-08-2021, 10:33 AM
RE: Such fine people - by SonicTramp - 20-08-2021, 07:43 AM