Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'A Sailor Once More v2'
(04-02-2021, 07:15 AM)401kBC Wrote: UPDATE 3 - Final version. 
I fixed all the transients of the tracks so they worked together better. 
I fixed the frequency holes in the Vocal track so it's correct on every other speaker I've heard it so far on.
I added sidechain compression to the piano, bass, and acoustic tracks from the drum track(Filtered at 20-95hz)
I added a delay to the main whistle
I added a delay to the electric guitar and panned it left
I automated a little more

I do understand that the acoustic guitars don't hit as much as in the intro of v2, but they were just to heavy coming from a 10" speaker. I think they feel better and its hard to get them good on everything
Cool sound. You've got a high character mix for sure!

My thoughts:
- Great work on bringing all instruments out clearly
- You managed to turn the drums and bass into a veritable rock sound
- Very intelligible voice, you can hear the diction very clearly
- Coot that you checked in on different speakers

My question on this style:
- The voice sounds a bit harsh in the lighter passages, a rock voice without the band
- In the 'everyone plays' section it feels a bit like a pile-up. You’ve got a stadium-filling sound put into a backstage locker room :-)  Maybe you can open it up to the sides a bit?
- The snare sound is nice and rich. Maybe bring it up a bit, to form a punchy rock trio with the kick and bass?

I have taken a different approach and it’s surprising how well this song lends itself to be interpreted during mixing! Mine is traditional folk-style, with a focus on the lead vocal and guitar. Then the back vocals as a ‘choir of the village’ vibe. Guitar strums and wind instruments are evocative of nature (sea, wind, waves) and sit slightly in the back. Drums and bass are light, supportive in the background since they are not traditional folk instruments. 
Check out my mix, I am posting it today (billabong68). Would love to hear your comments. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brennon Causey Mixing - 'A Sailor Once More v2' - by billabong68 - 11-12-2021, 03:07 AM