Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'A Sailor Once More v2'
Very impressive mix. I like everything you did. You whipped it out quite quickly too; that's even more impressive. I could never do that; I work very slow. The only thing I can say is the snare is a bit rough on the hi-mid, the louder I listen the more abrasive it gets. Listen to lower volume is o.k., still a bit dominant but tolerable. The way you have the drums now is perfect for the entrance, big and clear, but the snare is rough. I had the same problem: big entrance but rough snare. So I decided to put a de-esser barely hitting it around 4k-up to tame it down a bit. You can use dynamic EQ or compressor to do that, more precise. I only have stock plug ins so the de-esser is the closet thing there is. It worked but the trade off is the entrance is not as big bc the drums gets a bit darker. Sigh, I still don't know what to do yet, but I like it more with the de-esser strapped in. Btw, by doing that, it seems my flute and strumming guitars and the shakers poke out better too.

Yep, the final polishing is a lot harder than we think. It requires more critical listening bc now, not only we have to worry about technical flaws, we also inject artistic vision, drive, energy into the mix. That's the wall we must climb bc behind it is where, I suspect and hope, the pros are having a blast, hanging out smoking and drinking and partying Smile. They say, " there are 2 tragedies in life, the first is not getting what you want, the other is getting it!". I am no stranger to the first. I want to experience the other one too Smile. I think you have the talent to do it. I wouldn't be too surprised if I see your name on some record label. But I'll be jealous, that's for sure Smile.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brennon Causey Mixing - 'A Sailor Once More v2' - by SonicTramp - 05-02-2021, 11:56 PM