Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Encanto Tropical-The sum of all your mixes
(23-01-2021, 08:48 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

It sounds way overcompressed for me I'm afraid.  I am not really getting that sense of  'a great recording of great musicians in an island setting' feel.  Maybe remove those 5 compressors, and change the vocal reverb for something more natural? 

Could just be me and my taste though of course! Smile.

Cheers!

* Thanks, mikej, for leaving a comment. I actually used a lot less compression than usual b/c, imo, the song doesn't need it, very gentle, barely hitting 2dBs GR, more to control the peaks than anything . I wonder what in my mix would indicate over-compression (I still don't hear it. Maybe my listening skill is not up to par?). It would be super helpful if you (or anyone) can point it out for me. The compressor is a beast and everybody knows that in this profession. I'd be lying if I told you I know how to use a compressor. It took me 2 years just to hear the damage it does to my tracks. So, yeah, as for as knowledge/learning is concerned, I'd rather be on the receiving end. You guys have a lot more years in it than I do. I am just barely beginning. You know how it is, the more we learn the better we mix.

About the island feel: to be honest, I have no idea what that means. Right now, at my level, I am more like a technician, not an artist, I suppose. The closest to an island feel, to me, is to roll up a blunt while mixing and pretend I am somewhere in the Caribbean hanging out on a beach drinking with beautiful women, preferably single and slutty. Maybe I'll try that and see if it helps. Cheers!

The stack of 5 compressors was intended to be just a joke. Apology for misleading you into thinking I over-compressed Smile. It's just too stressful mixing, man. A little humor can only provide some relief, right? Or so I thought. Thanks for the comment, man. I appreciate the gesture. This is how we learn, right?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Encanto Tropical-The sum of all your mixes - by SonicTramp - 23-01-2021, 11:10 PM