Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In a backroom in Tulsa, dirty deeds get done.....
@Voeland,

thanks for popping in and dropping some ears by the mix. appreciated.

on reflection, the mix was too bright really (the shaker during the intro for example isn't a very polite welcome to the story!). my fault for not keeping my ears calibrated; i should know better!

my vision was to have the vocal intimate without the band climbing over it, so in order to push the band back sufficiently, the mix was made less stereo and tighter. i'm still arguing with myself over this strategy! so, EQ when applied, was to shape the tones and textures into a cohesive space as well as try and fix some gremlins. if i can close my eyes and point to the musicians and not have them sound like they are climbing over one another, then i'm on my way.

there is actually a lot of automation going on here and with most, if not all instruments, but when i say a lot, that's not a lot in terms of handfuls of amplitude, but gentle tweaks. if you listen to the piano, this drops back or opens up on occasion for example, and the acoustic guitar was asked to shout a bit at one key point i wanted to emphasise on the way in - i over did it actually because of the EQ i'd also applied to it previously. i will ride faders now and again too but only tend to do so if the mouse isn't in the mood or it's a tricky part! the Steel here, for example, was ridden in a few places, though mainly because i wanted to change the dynamics - mouse wouldn't cut it.

there are indeed some things i'd like to revisit and thank you for your valid points and observations meanwhile. your time is appreciated.
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
RE: In a backroom in Tulsa, dirty deeds get done..... - by The_Metallurgist - 28-01-2014, 12:33 AM