Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: Street Noise - Revelations
I've always thought "remastering" analog recordings to digital was a great idea, in principle, remixing the tracks to a digital master that doesn't add another layer of noise or muddy the high frequencies the way mastering to tape will tend to do. The problem is that most old recordings that go through digital "remastering" ALSO end up being subjected to all the brutal abuse and overuse of compression so common in today's music scene.

When I saw this multitrack, transferred from a studio recording made in 1975 (I was three years old Big Grin) I just JUMPED at the chance to do it, to showcase what the goal of "remastering" of old classics SHOULD be: to get the cleanest, clearest possible version of the ORIGINAL RECORDING AS IT WAS INTENDED BY THE ARTIST.

With that in mind, I cleaned up the noise on the tracks one track at a time then completed a mix with only a degree of compression and processing that would've been standard practice back when this was originally recorded. And of course, as usual, aside from normalizing the final mixdown to 0 dBFS, I applied NO processing WHATSOEVER to "master" it. Tongue

What do you guys think? Wink

I'll be making comments on other people's mixes of this tomorrow; right now I gotta get to bed. Sleepy

.m4a    11 Revelations.m4a --  (Download: 11.5 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
Pedaling Prince Mix: Street Noise - Revelations - by Pedaling Prince - 08-01-2014, 05:10 AM