Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember Jones: 'Don't Put Me On Hold'
Hi!

Yeah, v3 is much much better for me, much better clarity.

(This is a great track - superb players and vocalists, excellent arrangement and recording. Well, I think so anyway!)

Some further thoughts/ideas that may or may not help with the clarity thing - (I am no expert, you might probably have thought about all this already):

You might be able to get a bit more apparent clarity by reducing the bass a touch maybe? If you have 'lots' of low end, then you will need to crank the highs even more for it to sound brighter relative to the bass - if that makes sense? Everything is relative to everything else. Sometimes boosting anywhere from 300-800 or so as well as 3k ish or whatever can get the bass popping through whilst maintaining clarity. Watch for any boominess below 250 or so.

A couple of things that helped me a lot that I figured out quite recently - first is to listen at a fixed volume level, or at least have a 'set' volume level that you can go back to. Bit difficult to explain - but you can then tell if the material you are listening to is 'louder' or 'quieter' with respect to this level. Basically it gives you a reference for volume. I find this helps a lot for volume balancing a mix and also for frequency balance too. Also helps with being able to tell how squished a mix is. I think this is the aim of the 'K' metering system, but I don't bother with that - I just set a comfortable, slightly on the quiet side, listening level. Quiet so I have to really listen in. The ears are more sensitive to different frequencies so volume can have big effect on how they are percieved and therefore how you react and fix them.

If something sounds dull at your reference level, then you can have confidence in fixing it. How you fix it I guess will depend on your mixing style and philosophy. Eg Some might cut the lows and raise the volume a bit, others might add boost to the top end, etc. With a reference level set I find I don't panic if I need to eg, add 12db of boost or whatever - I just get it sounding right (well right, to me anyway, heh). I also tend to eq into compression - although if you find you can't get enough boost because the compression is eating it all, then of course you can also add another eq after the compressor.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Remember Jones: 'Don't Put Me On Hold' - by mikej - 07-09-2020, 01:58 PM