Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Black Crown - Cage (boomaga mix)
(09-08-2020, 11:56 PM)boomaga Wrote: This song grew on me !    I think it's got some fine hooks, and reminds me most of Tool.  
   The instrumental performances are just about flawless.  It is a pleasure to not have to dial in any sort of sound for guitar tracks because they just sound so nice au naturel.   I heard a lot of other mixers of this track feel it necessary to put a reverb on the clean guitar track in verse 1 & 2 but I think it's best dry.   There were two bass tracks labeled DI and Amp, but they were bit-for-bit exact copies so I jettisoned one.
    The drums were played on an electronic trigger kit, well chosen patches, but there's no bleed between mics to marry them and no "air."   We are given a nice couple of room mixes though, which is thoughtful.  I found the Drum Room Stereo track to have kinda too much washy splashy cymbals that I wanted to dial down.  If I'd been really on point I would have built up my own drum room sound and squashed it, but I didn't. 
    I did some rider fading between the vocals and guitars during the choruses just so there's more of an envelope for each.   But they're mouse fader-moves, I miss my mixing board. I mean it's just downstairs, I didn't sell it.  
    I thought about comping between the lead vocal takes but I decided to tune them and stick em together.  I like how he recorded it and kept it that way - lead voc solo on some lines, doubled on others.  I believe the tuning helps in so many ways.   
    At the end of the day I'm sure I'm going to remix this when I get some perspective.   I might have the mix too crowded in the choruses (the mixdown does have a mag tape emulator compression)
Drums especially toms and snare sound dull they need more punch and attack and see how that sounds....

Messages In This Thread
The Black Crown - Cage (boomaga mix) - by boomaga - 09-08-2020, 11:56 PM
RE: The Black Crown - Cage (boomaga mix) - by warlord62864 - 10-08-2020, 09:52 PM