Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whispear To Scream (mixed by konop)
(09-01-2014, 07:47 PM)konop_tnt Wrote: About automation: yes, I agree. It should be used only when needed, but... I think in modern music it is a must.

In my opinion that's too much of a generalization. Every mix is different, and even in modern music there are quite a few mixes out there that simply don't need any automation. Roughly 60% of the 124 mixes I've done here are entirely static and work quite well as they are. Of the remaining 40% the few mixes I've done that include automation usually have automation on only one or two tracks, or maybe a small handful of five or six tracks on occasion.

Only one song I've ever mixed for this site required extensive automation to sound its best: Al James' "Schoolboy Fascination." I think every track but the drum track have SOME kind of automation, as I recall (I don't remember exactly what I did with the automation but I remember that mix had more than any other I've done).

So I'm not averse to doing automation when it's actually needed, but I generally exhaust every other possibility to achieve the desired effect before I resort to automation or compression; those tools do have their place but I find them more effective if used sparingly.

(09-01-2014, 07:47 PM)konop_tnt Wrote: But anyway: I should use automation here IMO.

Well, each of us approaches a mix with our own preferred approach and with our own unique ideas about the sound we're going for. It's your mix; if you think you need automation to get the sound you're after then go for it. I'm only concerned that too many mixers think that ALL mixes need automation when, in fact, they don't; many well recorded tracks virtually mix themselves once you get the overall balance right, requiring little or no fancy automation to bring out their best qualities.

(09-01-2014, 07:47 PM)konop_tnt Wrote: In general this was fun to mix, in the mean time I will try mix second version.

I look forward to hearing that. I like what I've heard so far. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
RE: Whispear To Scream (mixed by konop) - by Pedaling Prince - 10-01-2014, 02:25 AM