Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whispear To Scream (mixed by konop)
(16-12-2013, 09:58 PM)konop_tnt Wrote: Hello,

My first post and mix here. What do you think about this? There is no automation at all, but no excuses - just information. Hope you'll enjoy.

Normally with this song I find it better to keep the vocals further back. However, in your version the up front vocals work very well. Oh, and as far as not having any automation goes, I consider that a plus. I believe automation should only be used when necessary; most mixes, IMHO, don't need it if you balance everything well. Nice work! Smile

Speaking of the vocals, that was one of the only problems. Vocals sound a bit too harsh. Sounds like you applied EQ to them in the 5-6 kHz region to try to bring them out of the mix. That might be your problem; you may have overdid it. I suggest no more than 5 dB boost in that region, maybe even 3 or 4.

Also, you need to dial WAY back on your compression in mastering; you can hear it turning up the noise during the ending tailoff and it's causing some unpleasant pumping in the sound of the cymbals. Honestly, I prefer to use NO compression in the master buss; why not try a master without it and see what you get? I realize, of course, I'm in the minority on the whole "no compression during mastering" thing so if you MUST use it then just pull back on it to about half of what you have here and that should eliminate the problems it's causing.
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
RE: Whispear To Scream (mixed by konop) - by Pedaling Prince - 08-01-2014, 04:13 AM