Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain
Ok, just uploaded a version with a minor mix bus compressor change, as I realise I forgot so change some settings back whilst experimenting... I think it sounds much better now anyway. I've not made any other changes as such.

Yeah I am aware of Oblique Strategies. Very insightful and inspired solution to deal with the artistic struggle, especially for, what, 1970-75? Music for Airports is the only Eno album I am familiar with really though. Should correct that really perhaps. Way ahead of his time.

Anyway, personally I don't feel you press to much. As I have mentioned before, you always seem to put your thoughts across well and are happy to discuss ideas and things a bit.

The impression I get is that you are always looking to make appropriate suggestions to help people to get their mixes to whatever the next level might be (from where they are currently at) I think. Oh, and to also consider how you can make mixes a bit more exciting for the listener and go beyond just a straight eq and volume balance - however competent that may be. Your comments and thoughts have certainly been helping me out a tremendous amount anyway.

Like with this mix, I feel you are showing me that it is important to really figure out and understand what the essence of a song might be. To find the interesting parts, the key elements, the supporting parts, and to go from there.

I think that you are right that it is maybe too easy to just rush off and mix what is in the files, without properly understanding what is in front of you, so to speak.

From various interviews and things I read, I get that this is a skill most of the top mixers seem to have. The ability to be able to pull things apart and get down to the essentials of what makes a song great, then build it back up and present it in it's best light.

Or something.... Big Grin.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by mikej - 26-04-2020, 04:46 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by Roy - 26-04-2020, 05:27 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by Roy - 26-04-2020, 06:24 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by mikej - 26-04-2020, 09:45 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by Roy - 26-04-2020, 10:41 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by mikej - 26-04-2020, 11:35 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by Roy - 26-04-2020, 11:48 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by mikej - 27-04-2020, 12:34 AM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by Roy - 27-04-2020, 12:49 AM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by mikej - 01-05-2020, 02:36 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by Roy - 01-05-2020, 06:17 PM