Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain
Here are my comments since you asked and I’m lovely:

Subjective.  (Do I delete all the mixes I have uploaded now, or wait until a bit later  Tongue ).

-I quite like the color blue. Most hues.

I colour my drum tracks blue.  And my replies it would seem today.  My drum channels are more cyan though, I suppose.

The first guitar being slightly panned left bothers me. But that is probably just me.

Sorry.  Where should it be panned exactly?  I wanted to balance it in the stereo field with the other guitar.  Should I have panned everything to the center? Mixed it in mono? Gone for full left?  Pan the two mics on each guitar hard left and right, for both guitars? Or do I need to raise the volume of the other guitar a bit?

-The vocal feels a bit ‘nasal’ and ‘pinched’ like there’s some phase cancellation. I don’t know the track or if it would even be possible but that’s what I think of when I think of the overall tone. The harmony vocal has the same quality and exasperates the effect. It’s in the same range as the acoustics.

Could be some phase cancellation with the vocal double I suppose...  Do I need to carve out some freqs in the acoustics to make some  room for the vocal?  I did notch out a couple of frequencies in the vocal that bothered me, possibly too wide...   I will have to check.  I suppose I thought it sounded ok....  

-I don’t think it’s your fault but that downbeat when the drums come in is frighteningly off and makes me want to [redacted] but not in a good way.

I suggest that you need to seek urgent professional help for those thoughts.  Maybe edit your post, at the very least, perhaps?

-I hate the color Teal though. Too much green.

Subjective, but ok. (I think the amount of green in other shades of blue might surprise you though).  

-I’m not sure, I’m live typing this and the snare feels ‘nasal’ and small and I’m not sure if it’s just that frequency range or if it’s something else. Is there some shared effect that isn’t 100% wet or something?

No shared effect.  Maybe I've highpassed the snare bit high, gated it a bit too much, and added too much, I dunno can't remember, 2-4k ish or something.  Maybe flipping the phase might help too...  I think I initially flipped it, then decided to change it back later on.   I'll try a few things I guess.

-@2:50 or so, what some might call the bridge but I hate to be cliche, the vocals feel better for some reason. It might just be how she’s singing.

Obviously I had not noticed this, or I would have made the vocals feel better for the whole track... Might be some overdubs or a comp perhaps?

-I want more bass guitar. Maybe to balance the midrange quality.

Oh.  I thought the bass level was ok? I guess I should reach over and switch the sub on occasionally...

-I do like aqua though (No Barbie Girl jokes, this is serious). is that related to teal? It’s so subjective.

Ah that Acqua.  Barbie Girl.  Yeah really nice chords from the synth strings in the intro, and that great M1-ish piano.  I think the guitar might be panned slightly to the right?  It's a good mix, and a well crafted track.  Catchy.  Clever writing.

-I’ve found the song to be a bit boring. I think partially the arrangement and rather pedestrian playing but also because I couldn’t engage with the vocals. This is one of those times when a mixer could really help make a song better.

Thought you would feel that way.  I think I felt the reference mix was a bit too reverby perhaps... Maybe though I need to add some more reverb and more compression or something?  Any suggestions for stuff to listen to, that might help me out in this regard, aside from Aqua?

Sorry if that was too critical. I just really am not a fan of teal.

Ok, I will delete all my mixes now... Big Grin

Thanks Smile.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by mikej - 26-04-2020, 04:46 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by Roy - 26-04-2020, 05:27 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by Roy - 26-04-2020, 06:24 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by mikej - 26-04-2020, 09:45 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by Roy - 26-04-2020, 10:41 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by mikej - 26-04-2020, 11:35 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by Roy - 26-04-2020, 11:48 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by mikej - 27-04-2020, 12:34 AM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by Roy - 27-04-2020, 12:49 AM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by mikej - 01-05-2020, 02:36 PM
RE: The Long Wait - Lookout Mountain - by Roy - 01-05-2020, 06:17 PM