Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Forthcoming Turn (BCS Mix)
(06-04-2020, 02:57 PM)javierpg84 Wrote: I like the bite and aggression your guitars have. Did you reamp the DIs? If so do you recommend any specific setting? The precision you achieved with the editing of the guitars and base is really good. It serves well the song. The drum sound its good. I find it aggressive but a little reverby, I dont know if is a genre thing or your personal taste. I like the mix and find it suiting well the music. Great job.

Thanks for taking an interest in my mix!

GUITAR:

No, I didn't reamped anything (my laptop can't handle running 2 amp sims at the same time lol). What I did to the guitar was mostly bringing back some low mid because the original tone is too raunchy and thin for my taste. And there were 3 tracks of amped guitars iirc, so I took the one that played a bit different line than the other two, and then run it through an octaver pedal plugin to add even more grit in the low end, and then use stereo sample dalay to make the one track sounds like its double-tracked (basically creating a 'stereo distorted bass line' that's gonna make the low end of the song aggressive and wide.) Check out Beartooth's 'Bad Listener' to hear this effect for clearly. And then I suggest you learn Andy Sneap's C4 multipressor technique, which has been polishing up metal guitars since the mid 2000's.
https://youtu.be/QN8cYb1j4rY
Other than that it's really all about tightening up the playing itself by editing.

BASS: Probably the hardest thing to polish up imo, but once I did it it really turn the song from lackluster to pure banger! I'm gonna need some time to phrase the process out nice and clear though. Maybe I'd even print the individual tracks here if anyone's interested.

DRUMS: Yeah I guess it relies a little too much on reverb in some snare hits because I used reverb automation to accentuate the snare hits and maybe I went too far with some and couldn't be bothered to check out every single hit again for the second time haha. And as I mentioned my laptop isn't quite strong so I could only use two reverb sounds (short and long) for the whole mix, and they may not be the exactly perfect sounding reverb for this kit but I kinda had no choice because they really do sound nice on other stuff. In pro records they would rely more on room mics/samples instead of reverbBig Grin

Lastly regardless of your music taste I really recommend you at least get into the 'internet metalcore/djent scene' if you wanna learn about mixing even in general. They are arguably the most production-nerdy fanbase of all genre. You typically don't see people casually talking about the mix of the newly released single of their favorite bands down in the youtube comment section in other genres. Check out channels like URM Academy, Hardcore Music Studio. They are full of people who have mixed genre-defining records of this scene (Joey Sturgis, Nolly, etc.). You won't regret it trust me. In my country, most young mainstream mix engineers also came from this scene as well.

Messages In This Thread
The Forthcoming Turn (BCS Mix) - by bcs_mix - 04-04-2020, 10:45 AM
RE: The Forthcoming Turn (BCS Mix) - by mick2015 - 05-04-2020, 12:19 PM
RE: The Forthcoming Turn (BCS Mix) - by bcs_mix - 06-04-2020, 07:32 AM
RE: The Forthcoming Turn (BCS Mix) - by mick2015 - 06-04-2020, 11:54 AM
RE: The Forthcoming Turn (BCS Mix) - by bcs_mix - 06-04-2020, 04:54 PM
RE: The Forthcoming Turn (BCS Mix) - by kapu - 14-04-2020, 04:53 PM
RE: The Forthcoming Turn (BCS Mix) - by bcs_mix - 15-04-2020, 03:23 PM
RE: The Forthcoming Turn (BCS Mix) - by kapu - 15-04-2020, 05:04 PM
RE: The Forthcoming Turn (BCS Mix) - by bcs_mix - 27-04-2020, 07:59 PM