Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This was fun
There's something special about mixing metal Smile

I had some issues getting right feeling into the snare and the guitars, and then there's the question about the vocals. Acctually I would have tucked them more into the mix, but I didn't because ... no one goes home humming the kick drum Wink

The intro is pretty low, which is on purpose, because I wanted to give the impression of getting kicked in the head when the band starts.

I guess, I could have rolled off more mids of the guitars to make more space, but on the other hand, I wanted the guitars to occupy as much space as possible.

Tips, trick and comments are much obliged

Edit v2
I lowered Snare drum level, servere changes on bass channels and raised level to get a firmer low end and I rolled back vocals.

On guitars I did a completely do-over. I've lowered HPF on rhythm guitars and applied one -1dB cut around 5k. The other guitars are HPF'ed at little higher with one to two -1dB cuts. Also, I've added a pinch of opposite reverb to stereo guitars to enhance the overall guitar feeling.

Guitars in general was a struggle because on one hand, I did want to tame them to keep them from drowning out anything else, and on the other hand, I didn't want to kill the energy in the guitars. Also, I still think a little more chug on 'em would've been nice.

I am still challenged by where the vocals should sit in the mix. On one side, I want loud and clear vocals with high intelligibility, and on another side, I don't wan't the vocals to kill the overall energy. Right now I've landed here ...

Edit v3
So, I think I've landed here. I've tried to blend the vocals as much as possible without loosing intelligibility.

.mp3    Darkride - Piece Of Me v3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.31 MB)

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow

Messages In This Thread
This was fun - by Krabbe - 23-03-2020, 11:59 PM
RE: This was fun - by Shul - 24-03-2020, 03:56 AM
RE: This was fun - by Krabbe - 24-03-2020, 08:16 AM
RE: This was fun - by Blitzzz - 24-03-2020, 12:47 PM
RE: This was fun - by Krabbe - 24-03-2020, 11:26 PM
RE: This was fun - by Blitzzz - 25-03-2020, 11:31 AM
RE: This was fun - by Krabbe - 25-03-2020, 03:43 PM