Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A quickie that I like to call my Tree Cutting Mix
(16-03-2020, 09:57 PM)jeffssoloband Wrote: Hey, over all it sounds ok. You've got the same thing as a lot of the other mixes do where your compressor is reeeaaalllly overemphasizing the breaths. Maybe that's what you were going for, but it's really distracting to me Wink. I like the delay effect on the vox. The BG vox are a bit to loud for my taste, but again, that's just my opinion. Just curious: why did you cut so hard at 300?

Hi

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Acctually, I've never thought about the breathing issue, you mention. To be honest, I don't think that I compress vocals that aggressively; I use the Waves LA-2A on my lead vocal channel with a -3dB compression, give or take. I am however aware that this particular comp adds a lot of brightness to the mix, but colour itself shouldn't affect the breathing. I am glad you brought it up, and from here on out, I will be paying more attention to this issue.

A lot of mixes, I hear, have the BG vox bleding too much for my liking. I am aware that it is BACKGROUND vox, I do however fancy clear cut vocal, both lead and background, so I guess that I was just trying to do that. Have I over-done it then? Maybe. Again, it will be on my to-be-paid-extra-attention-list from here on out.

300 have never been a "favourite" frequency of mine. Obviously that's no reason to cut it - or is it? Wink - however, in this particular song I just felt it kept getting in my way, so to speak. I made an aggresive 300-cut on bass to reduce low-end muddiness and enhance tonality. I did the same with the guitars because I felt the 300hz reduced presence, and I did on the vocals to increase both presence and intelligibility. And then I made a not-that-aggresive 300 cut on the kick, just because it sounded odd. I am not saying that what I did was as-taken-from-a-text-book - because it isn't - but I think it helped me getting the job done.
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow

Messages In This Thread
RE: A quickie that I like to call my Tree Cutting Mix - by Krabbe - 17-03-2020, 01:42 AM