Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
SZLACHETKA - Heart Strings of My Home Town - Updated
Pulled on some heart strings, this one did. . .

Challenges where first, aligning the drum tracks and then figuring out the approach to the arrangement based upon the kick, bass and guitar in the genre. The guitar took a lot of work to get close and I'm not sure I'm happy with it yet. The kick and bass found their home when I tried not to force them into what they weren't. With that and some filtering on the environment/OH tracks I think the drums came together well. There is some phasing though from the BGVs, I think.

The keys and vocals were pretty straight forward so no real struggles there, however there are some serious pluffs on the lead vocal mic.

I took some liberties with the opening because of the disparity between the guitar riff level and the vocal in context to the body of the song. I like how that turned out. It lead, I followed.

SZLACHETKA - Heart of My Home Town - Mix 2

I followed my own advice here and found a better home for the guitar and its monotonic quality which makes it difficult to present well. And I think I found something which works (see Note1, below). As a result I needed to re-home a lot of the rest of the tracks. This included duplicating the keyboard track and splitting out the Rhodes vs. the organ and then operating on them discretely. That helped a lot. Clarified the bass and honed the kit. Sliced up the tom tracks instead of gating them which made more sense. Gated the snare which also helped the cymbals a lot. There remains a wash in the cymbals which comes from the BGVs. I tried gating them but when they came in the difference was not viable, IMHO. More hi-passing on the vocals to eliminate as many plosives as possible and then a re-balance of the BGVs against the lead.

-12.9 LUFS; 11.7 LU

Note1:
Took one of the guitar tracks and offset the tuning by 3 cents and panned them partially left and right, respectively. Put the guitar buss through a stereo in-line IR reverb and fiddled around until I found a space which worked with the tone and dynamics of the guitar and gave me the space I wanted for both the rhythm and lead phrases.

I hope there is something to discuss in my approach. As always, I look forward to your input and comments.

Your friend,
mITc

.mp3    SZLACHETKA - Heart of My Home Town.mp3 --  (Download: 9.01 MB)

.mp3    SZLACHETKA - Heart of My Home Town - Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.01 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
SZLACHETKA - Heart Strings of My Home Town - Updated - by Mixinthecloud - 13-08-2019, 02:50 AM