Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kat Wright - Contact
(29-07-2019, 05:31 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: High end of the cymbals is a bit sizzly. Could it be a mastering EQ artifact? With that though it seems to be missing clarity on the low end (kick and bass). I think that agrees with Shul's comments. It's not as bad as I am making it sound though.
The lead vocal was cut with tons of drums(especially kick) on that track. If you choose to put the lead vocal in the mix, it will horribly impact the tightness of your drum sound. Please solo the lead vocal track flat and give it a listen all the way through and let me know what you think about the overall eq, plosives and bleed. Then, eq the vocal to your liking and repeat the soloed listening exercise. And...for the final step, get a good drum mix together, then add that vocal track at roughly the level it will be and hear what that does to your drum sound.

It's possible that every issue that you mentioned would go away if I just muted the vocal track...It's that bad. Because if you eq the muddiness out of the vocal, you might have just introduced sizzling cymbals. I just went back and listened to the vocal track - soloed this time with the eq in and it's full of cymbal wash ( a little on the bright side) and tons of kick. While I am very grateful for the tracks that Telefunken provides, they really need to figure a way to keep all (ok, most of) the room noise and plosives out of the vocals. These Kat Wright vocal tracks also have a very muddy sound. I don't know whether that's a Telefunken M80 series artifact or something the tracking engineer is doing...either way..I don't think it's going to help sell mics.

Messages In This Thread
Kat Wright - Contact - by NewtonThomas - 26-07-2019, 11:52 PM
RE: Kat Wright - Contact - by Shul - 27-07-2019, 12:06 AM
RE: Kat Wright - Contact - by Mixinthecloud - 29-07-2019, 05:31 PM
RE: Kat Wright - Contact - by NewtonThomas - 30-07-2019, 03:04 AM
RE: Kat Wright - Contact - by Mixinthecloud - 30-07-2019, 02:35 PM