Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands
I don’t think I’m quite there with this yet, but getting there.

I have had a rethink, based on the idea of wanting to get more weight out of the instruments. You really did get me thinking about why the vocal wasn’t sitting right in the mix, and I figured it wasn’t the vocal, it was everything else. The vocal left plenty of room and I wasn’t filling the space.

I think my initial volume balance was off, and I was maybe using too much eq to get the volume and tone, rather than getting the levels right to start with. I feel the overall tone was a bit off, and this was contributing to the overall harshness.

Because there was not so much bass weight I could slam it in to the limiter more, which was also probably not helping matters, likely rebalancing the frequency spread by squishing the mids and highs.

I’ve had an attempt at rebalancing and re-eq’ing to get the kick more up front to really try and fill out the bottom end of the mix.

I’ve hopefully got the bass and guitar to gel together better in the intro.

I’ve tried to get the levels of the guitar up, and attempted to get the tone up toward the vocal.

I’ve sent the main guitar to a widener to further fill things out (waves doubler, as that is what I have), as I kept in the middle and the mix sounded a bit too mono to me.

I’ve also reduced the vocal reverb amount too. I had another go at getting the snare sound. Probably relying on the reverb a bit too much for the snare but it will do for now.

I used RVox and Renaissance Axx a touch to get a bit more out of the vocals and guitars, whilst mixing. I kind of feel I could maybe get it there with better balancing. Not that there is anything wrong with these plugins, but I felt I was using them more for volume rather than compression or presence.

I think I have a much better idea of the work I need to do balance wise to get the end result I want.

I’ve uploaded the mix of where I am at as revision 2. I guess it is a bit different tone wise now, I hope it’s ok and hopefully better?

Thanks!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 21-04-2019, 05:16 PM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 22-04-2019, 04:35 AM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 22-04-2019, 07:34 PM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 23-04-2019, 05:02 AM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 23-04-2019, 01:29 PM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 24-04-2019, 02:26 AM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 24-04-2019, 11:09 PM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 25-04-2019, 09:39 PM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by mikej - 27-04-2019, 01:51 AM