Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Know Better - ArmedNDaverous mix
Here's some technical info about this mix for anyone that might be interested.

Drums

Kick in - 15db dip at 655Hz (Q 1.4) to remove what I felt was too much boxy/muddiness.

Kick Out - 3db dip at 625Hz. High shelf cut -7db at 7Khz to tame the cymbals. Also did some dynamic eq cuts at 4Khz to cut back on cymbal crashes throughout.

Both kicks had 2-3db of limiting for loudest hits only to even things out. Both had a HP filter at 40Hz and a sonnet envolution plugin to cut back on ringing sustain. I bussed both kicks to an aux which I gated and added a tape sim for some warmth and low end boost.

Snare - Phase inverse on snare up. HP filter on both snares but no other EQ. I supplemented the snares with a sample. 2-3db of compression on snare bus aux track.

Timbale / Congo: HP filter 80Hz. I used some narrow dynamic eq on some resonant frequencies for the timbale. Might of been overkill but the peaks were bugging me. (426Hz, 778Hz, 1071Hz) I figured by cutting those peaks I could turn it up louder overall. Then I limited some more peaks and compressed after that.

OH - HP filter 60Hz. High shelf dynamic eq at 2500Hz, -2 db or so to tame HH. Used a compressor in stereo mode with internal side chain HP filter at 2kHz so the compressor would only trigger during cymbal hits on corresponding channels. Followed by some regular compression.

Drum buss had some 2-3db of compression for the "glue" and a pultec smiley face eq of a couple db and both ends.

BASS - Multiband compression below 150hz. Nearly -10db at times. Then I limited the peaks and compressed some more. I also duplicated the track and added a SVT3 bass amp sim. Studer A800 sim on the bass buss with more compression.

Guitars - I did a lot to the guitars. I used an LA3A to compress the peaks, dbx 160 to compress and bring up some details and some SSL eq to brighten and help guitar poke through around 2-3kHz. Reverbs were mostly EMT 140 sim and delays were EP-34 sim.

Keys - HP filtered all of the tracks up to about 200hz and on the piano I cut out -10db at 535Hz to remove some boxiness and mud. Both Hammond tracks had a fair amount of distortion added as well as a MicroShift plugin for stereo wideness.

Vocals - These required a lot of work for me. HP filtered up to 80Hz and an additional 4db cut at 100 to tame some lows. After that I used a multi-band compressor with a crossover at 200hz to cut out the low boominess that would sometimes pop up from proximity effect and what not. Then I used a series of compressors. 1 to tame the peaks, 1 for overall level control, and lastly a LA-2A to even it out even further. I try to get them as level as possible to cut back on automation, even though I still did a fair amount of that. EQ: a few db boost at 10kHz and a shelf boost at 20kHz to brighten.

BGV: Kept it simple on this, just a HP filter at 200kHz and a single stage of compression on the individual tracks and then a LA-2A on a BGV aux bus to bring them together.

Master bus: around 3-4db of compression, slowt attack, fast release. 10kHz boost to brighten everything up, as well as a bit of Inflator for some meat and a tape sim for some added low end.

These were some of the basic things I did. If anyone wants more detail about anything in particular feel free to message me.

Messages In This Thread
RE: You Know Better - ArmedNDaverous mix - by Phantom Studios - 18-03-2019, 01:17 AM