Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Zane Carey- 'TalkToMeBaby' New Mix (yeah?)
Well... I've now listened to most of the other mixes here and then to mine, embarassed.
Mine is so low in volume.
So I'll work on that, and in listening to the rest of my mix, I have a lot of changes to make before resubmitting.
Sorry for the poor poor quality. Am here to learn.

Questions please;
1. I put like 10 hours on the vocal channel. Had to find my 'norm' volumn for him and then chop up the entire track to bring down most of the pieces to that norm, to be able to get the whole thing to work, fit together like one cohesive piece. That's just to slice down his over peaks on volume singing. Then chop out the pre word breaths, and the biting leading portions of 'Baby' that he hit so hard. Question is, is this normal bit of work? Or... do engineers work this around well enough with compression alone?

2. I had to decide which things/pieces to feature and which to let fall back. I chose the vocal first mix, not right, then the bass/drums next mix, not right, and then on the final found that featuring the Synth was the best fit to feature and then bring all other pieces up to it, that and the lead guitar. Is that all basic steps that most engineers go through?

3. had to hand cut out all of the kick and snare hits on a copy track of the HH, and then filter/eq in the correct sound for the HH hits, also the open/closed HH and crash's onto another separate HH track as those fought with the 1,2,3 count HH hits. Again normal faire?

4. Lastly; I'm working with Reaper (I could use the ProTools I guess, but I'm more familiar with Reaper), but when I have my mix pretty loud, well the multimaximizer is just below red on the peaks on the Master channel... and render the file to an mp3... the end result is an audio file that is very low on volume. And I didn't check that but posted it as my song here, and geeze, shaking head.

If you've already got y our mix to the ;'just below red' rms point in rendering, how on earth do you get a bundle more of volume out of it? Bring it into Audacity or something? This has really got me tripped up on this point. Help please Wink

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zane Carey- 'TalkToMeBaby' New Mix (yeah?) - by chuckboyer2016 - 19-12-2018, 10:09 AM