Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My shot at mixing Directions
Hey Markus,

I am always happy to help.
The space now sounds cohesive to me, as if all performed at once.
One thing I might try is to place the main guitar in the middle, as if the singer played it. Might work, might not work.
I think the inconsistencies in the bass, where not a matter of EQ. I liked the tone and fullness of the bass in the first version more.

I would try a multiband compressor, to compress the very low end of the bass (maybe below 120-150Hz) heavily (high ratio, medium attak, slow release) so you have a consistent foundation to build up on.
For individual notes riging out, you could try a dynamic EQ. (Free Plugin: TDR Nova)
you could describe it as a more flexible multiband compressor. If you need further info, google "TDR Nova introduction by Dan Worral" and click on the first YT video.

I downloaded your Practice 4 and "mastered" it.
Meaning I try to adress the issues as best I could with the dynamic EQ I mentioned, mid-side EQ and De-Essing.
You can listen to the A/B below. A is you, B is me.

If your are in on the details, here we go:
Dynamic EQ in the 90HZ region, about 4-5db with 2db make up. I also removed the side signal below 120 Hz or so, for cleaner low end.
(Just noticed I was to aggresive as the low guitar notes now pull to the center, maybe 100Hz would be better)
I added a slight high-shelf in the sides only (so the mono components are not effectet). You will notice the shaker being more present.
I also did a dynamic EQ at 800Hz to try to catch the vocal, along with a normal EQ at 2500Hz. I tried to get rid of the telephone effect.
I slapped a de-esser on the mono signal, so it just catches the vocal and not the percussion.

Of course all those things are easier to do while mixing, but I tried anyway Smile

I would be happy if you could listen to my mix of Catching Up and/or Colour Me Red (the latter will be online shortly)

Cheers,
Lukas Angel

.mp3    TomMcKinsey - Markus A_B Test.mp3 --  (Download: 3.58 MB)

Messages In This Thread
My shot at mixing Directions - by martyboy - 26-11-2018, 09:35 PM
RE: My shot at mixing Directions - by LukasL - 27-11-2018, 08:45 AM
RE: My shot at mixing Directions - by martyboy - 27-11-2018, 03:19 PM
RE: My shot at mixing Directions - by LukasL - 27-11-2018, 04:19 PM
RE: My shot at mixing Directions - by martyboy - 27-11-2018, 04:47 PM