Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random Somebody - Crazy For Me [OoF mix]
(30-10-2018, 05:38 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: Good mix. A little dark to my taste, but I enjoy listening to it. I especially like the kick, though I wish I can hear it without straining too hard. The only thing I notice that is negative to me is: it's a little compressed. Don't hold me on this, but I swear I can hear the compression, quite hard, especially on the vocal. Either that or I had a one too many bongs. Perhaps bc of that your mix seems steady, too steady for my taste. And my ears, sometimes they don't work as well as they should, so don't blame me too much, tell me that is the sound of compression. Just something I put it out there for you. I rather be wrong than not saying anything at all. I listen to yours against mine, whose else, right? and I am very mindful to have them both super close as far as loudness is concerned. I notice that your mix is a lot louder than mine. Anyway, just something to think about. Or not Smile

Thanks for the comments!

About compression, I'm struggling wit it (who's not?) and whenever I listen to any commercial release I can actually hear it, and it sounds good! So, I'd rather push it too far than stay safe. Sometimes when I'm mixing, I won't realize to what point I've compressed stuff, or how well it fits the kind of compression I used, because of ear fatigue, lack of experience, whatever.... but I want to make those mistakes and then go back and learn from it.

Probably the overuse of coloring plugins is to blame for the compressed sound too, since they tend to do that in their own way.

Also, consider that I was testing these new plugins so it's likely that I've used more stuff than needed xD

The loudness is also intended. I find that mixing for loudness is harder than it sounds, and it's a good training camp in order to realize how your mix can stab you in the back despite it looked smooth and inoffensive on lower levels. All the harshness comes out, and the low end goes wild if you didn't treat it properly.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Random Somebody - Crazy For Me [OoF mix] - by OctopusOnFire - 30-10-2018, 12:17 PM