Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gnessin Academy Piano Concerto - Pan 3
(22-11-2017, 01:12 PM)flyrecords Wrote: I believe that everyone's work is good, both professional and non-professional, since each one puts his or her best to make it sound like one would really want. We will find a thousand versions and mixtures, or important of all this is that this is an art and as in the painting each one puts subtle colors on the same painting that make them different. In my case I took everything into consideration and filtered some frequencies that in my opinion "dirtied" the result, and then I was carried away by the orchestra and the piano with their own imprints. The orchestra manages the environment and the plans, there is not much to do, just enjoy the moment and try to make it sound as decent as possible.The dynamics alone leads to good results, no compressors in anything, letting everything sound dynamic for me is the key

No right, no wrong, on this process for those taking an earnest approach. And I can't imagine technical audio engineering needs to be different with this genre as opposed to any other. What may change is the understanding of this type of presentation as opposed to an electric source with no native ambience. Having been an orchestra member but only in my youth, I remember it being drilled into me to always watch the conductor. Why? Because the conductor manages the dynamics of the performance. Sounds easy. It is not. It sounds easy to hit a golf ball. It is not. You must master hitting the golf ball before you really ever begin to play a golf course as it was designed. You must master your instrument before you can be held as an instrument in the hands of your conductor. Ideally a conductor will be able to inflect his ideas for dynamics and intensity with a wave of his hand or the flip of his baton or a glaring gaze. He also has a libretto, so to speak, in his score. Now we, as mixers, take over for the conductor without a score. If you have seen any film on classical production you will often see the engineers and producers are reading right along with the score using it to make notes on mixing cues, often assisted by the conductor. After all, it is his or her presentation. I do not know how to step into those shoes. All I have are my ears and my limited understanding of the craft from what scant things I have seen. I did go to youth concerts at the Academy in Philadelphia when I was a child, and it included workshops about conducting and orchestral presentation. But I was like 8 and would have much rather been out playing baseball or football. However, some of it sunk in, I guess and I give thanks to my parents for helping me appreciate all kinds of music and the commitment it takes to truly bring it to life.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gnessin Academy Piano Concerto - Pan 3 - by Mixinthecloud - 25-11-2017, 08:29 PM