Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: J0K3R - September Trance
Thanks for giving me your time and attention, and sharing your thoughts about my mix. It was highly appreciated.

I don't know about the thunder clip, which I loved for it's atmospheric contributions to the mix (nice recording quality too, BTW), but there's heaps of thunder in that kick. Awesome! If I have any worries, it's likely the contrast between it's energy and subsequent voltage, as well as the kind of placement it presents for the other elements of the production. I feel there could be a little too much distance/depth between the kick and the rest that it might risk alienating some elements? But I love how you've shaped it, it's gorgeous.

One of the challenges in the bass end, which I will touch on more in my reply to Jimmy's in time, is the consecutive 1/16th notes the bass synth is lobbing out, and how it's notation tends to fight the kick in the arrangement. It looks like you've taken a safe approach and low cut around 100Hz or so? Irrespective, it's given you a tonne of bass space to plant the kick. I think if that synth wasn't headroom hungry and potentially so woofer intensive, you'd have been able to make it work in the fundamental along with the kick too? This would force the kick lower in bass (and attack) because of the additional energy of the synth. In your approach, you've avoided the risk of distortion which I think would otherwise occur by including the synth's fundamentals. Wise move.

I suffer from motion sickness quite easily and found the panning sweeps of the synth to be too much for comfort. I think it's a great idea though because of the interest it brings. Perhaps it would work better for folk like me, if the effect was momentarily swept wide to help bring contrast and raise the attention you were clearly seeking in your vision, then change it's magnitude perhaps, from subtle, to massive, to neutral with one ear on avoiding too much repetition or regularity? I suppose it depends on an individual's tolerance threshold, but I'd advise care and keep it's duration short and sweet as possible. Or narrow, but just enough to suggest a modest movement? Difficult to dial-in if one is not susceptible. Anyway, it's bold mixing you have going on here, which I always admire.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pedaling Prince Mix: J0K3R - September Trance - by Monk - 23-11-2017, 03:55 PM