Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Am Cassettes : Believe - First mix here !
I'll rephrase myself. The vocals' peak levels and dynamic range for this specific singer vary throughout the different sections of the song.

Try to use WAVE's Vocal Rider (if you have it - or any type or transience & compression that can emphasize the singer's notes and deep voice - if you want you can refer to my mix&master for an example of what I mean).
I see you mentioned use used a "heavy" DeEsser on the vocals - a DeEsser is a type of compressor that can deal with a specific frequency range based on the envelope of your EQ (High pass or 'hill').
Maybe your DeEsser is heavily compressing the vocals and that is why i hear it muffled and uneven at parts. Try to check your DeEsser as well and look for vowels in the frequency range of 4.2khz-6.4khz (depending on the pitch of the singer and if it's a male/female vocalist).
Once you find the specific frequency that emphasizes these vowels the most - compress it in the DeEsser to the level where the vowel is audible but not harsh.
You don't need to eliminate the vowels completely - if you compress over 6gb (=100% in volume) you'll get muffled vocals with a limited dynamic range.

the vocals sound pretty solid although it's hard for me to say at the moment due to all the mid-freq energy you have in the mix.

Once you open the stereo image a bit more you'll hear the vocals better and then you'll see the different pitch and tonality he has in the verses vs. the chorus etc.

let me know if you need any help further.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Am Cassettes : Believe - First mix here ! - by FisheRecords - 08-11-2017, 10:23 AM