Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wind - Joe P mix
The tracked drums on this sounded great. The lead vocals did NOT sound great! The backups were much better, but the tracking plan was weird. Why does every indy song have to have a Rhodes piano in it? That track could have been ditched if it were up to me. Acoustics sounded good. This whole song could have been those awesome drums, (better) lead vocals, acoustic guitars, a couple leads, and large group backups. My opinion.

THE MIX

- Lead vocals could go down a pinch or just do an automation.
- Don't love what I did with the snare (a little squashed)
- Stopped working on the backups since I didn't feel like cutting them up to EQ each part of each stereo track.
-Mixed in Logic on Sennheiser HD600s (that is to say, I didn't do a lot of extra listening on this one)

Other people's mixes I've heard:
More often than not, I hear really thin and tinny electric guitar intros. They are waaay to thin. I'd recommend getting a full bodied sound out of that track for the first few bars and either automate the low-mids down a little once the song kicks in or sidechain compress that track with the acoustics or something that will tame it when the instrumentation is in full effect (probably too much comp., maybe just mult the beginning). Might not even need that if it's just EQed nicely to begin with. I will say that most people did a good job on the lead vocals with all things considered. One mix there was a kick drum that was way too bubbly. Like too much beater mixed in and not enough booom. That boom is the best part of this song. If I mess with this one again, I wanna bring it out a little more myself.

Things to think about:
Think about selling this song. No offense to anyone, but I wanted to turn off the track once that first guitar came in on a lot of these mixes. Fortunately, I didn't since the rest of the song was much better. I don't love the tone I got from my intro bars on this one, but it's full enough to keep listening to and I think the listener will settle in once the drums, etc roll in.

Comments welcome.

.mp3    The Wind 6.mp3 --  (Download: 7.33 MB)

Messages In This Thread
The Wind - Joe P mix - by joepalumbo - 27-06-2013, 06:04 AM
RE: The Wind - Joe P mix - by gopener - 27-06-2013, 12:06 PM
RE: The Wind - Joe P mix - by thedon - 27-06-2013, 12:32 PM
RE: The Wind - Joe P mix - by joepalumbo - 27-06-2013, 02:08 PM
RE: The Wind - Joe P mix - by joepalumbo - 01-07-2013, 03:02 AM