Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still Flyin' Instrumental Mix (Full mix to come)
(13-12-2016, 06:40 AM)Shul Wrote: Hello

Big improvement over the first one with the instrumental.
Here are my observations

*Love what you did with the vocal.. the reverb you used makes them sound creamy. Good job here
*The kick and bass have a resonating freq. which makes a buildup. I'm not sure if it's at around 200hz.. could be 140 you should check it out.
*I believe you used too much reverb overall in the master buss maybe? but it's making your mix loose definition. In other words it's making it sound too soft for me. Though I really like the space you have achieved with it. sounds very "dreamy" Big Grin

I think you got the hang of this song but I would say imo the downside for it is the reverb being a bit too much.
Other than that good mix Smile
The only verb I used is on the snare and vocals and the snare verb is gated, I think it's the low end build up that's making the mix loose. I probably used too much on the snare but I think the synth are also exaggerating the sustain in the mix and giving the impression of reverb.

Glad you liked the vocals, the trick to use a plate reverb with a long pre delay (156 ms in this case) and decay. Mix that with a 1/4 note delay, mono tape slap back delay (166 ms), lots of compression (optical compressors are a must for this to sound natural), and a dynamic eq (TDR Nova is what I used ) to tame the resonances while keeping the brightness of the vocal.

I really wouldn't say any of the post hardcore bands that I heard sound "hard" (the again my standard of hardness is Converge, Danza 3, and Hatebreed Big Grin), pushing this into a more dreamy sound seemed like a good idea considering the lyrics and the more epic sound the band seems to be going for.

Cheers and thanks for the critique,
Doug

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

Messages In This Thread
RE: Still Flyin' Instrumental Mix (Full mix to come) - by dcp10200 - 13-12-2016, 01:42 PM