Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Mallory
Oh this song. It's such a Postal Service copy. Not that that is a bad thing.

Here's some initial thoughts. Some of the synths are a little harsh. Especially in the second verse and at the end.

The tough thing about this song is it's very slow and open and takes a long time to grow. It needs more elements that catch the listener's ear and keep them interested. Definitely more delays and space. But don't over do it. The thing about this kind of song is the contrast between the acoustic parts of the piano and vocal and the electronic parts. I think it helps to not view it as an electronic song. But that's just me.

If you haven't read it already, check out Mike Senior's mix rescue about this song. http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/m...ering-club
I think his most important 'trick' to mixing this song was to work "backwards" and start with the vocals and lastly with the drums. The vocals are such a focal point of the song that the rest of the mix should support them.

This song is a study in dynamics. There should be greater changes between the first verse and second and the drop in the bridge when the instruments cut out should feel dramatic. By the end the song should sound huge (it is a song about a mountain climber, after all). Of course it should do all of that contained in the few dB we have to work with.

Hope that helps.

Messages In This Thread
My Mallory - by Mixinthecloud - 08-11-2016, 02:13 PM
RE: My Mallory - by Roy - 08-11-2016, 02:58 PM
RE: My Mallory - by Mixinthecloud - 08-11-2016, 03:48 PM
RE: My Mallory - by Roy - 08-11-2016, 03:52 PM
RE: My Mallory - by Mixinthecloud - 08-11-2016, 04:06 PM