Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Color Me Red - jtbStudio
(05-11-2016, 01:44 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Maybe consider louder crashes? Especially at the OD cymbals at top. It might add more excitement to the top of the song.
Yah, I originally had them louder but it just sounded a bit artificial (since there isn't any other cymbal work going on), so I just pushed them back a bit, still audible but not as obvious.

(05-11-2016, 01:44 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I will say the l/r delays are distracting. Especially on the vocal. It might work if it's darker. I think it works on the guitar in the heavier sections but might distract from the guitar fills on the quieter sections. [I dunno. After a few listens the delays grow on me. Maybe have less feedback/repeats?]
I tend to do this a lot, so I might just be used to it Smile

(05-11-2016, 01:44 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I like the banjo effect and it does help extend the notes.
I really liked the banjo part, it adds a lot of character, but the other guitars are hitting the note at the same time, so I needed to find a way to make the banjo more prominent.

(05-11-2016, 01:44 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: The BGVs feel ok. It's an artistic choice. In this mix they are back a bit but it adds to the evil, ominous quality of the part.
Cool, that's exactly what I was looking for Smile

(05-11-2016, 01:44 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: The floor tom sounds a little tubby. At least as I noticed on a later fill.
Yah, normally I'd replace them, but I got a bit lazy with those Rolleyes

(05-11-2016, 01:44 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I'm not sure about the rhodes (a helpful comment I know). I never liked it in this song. I just was boring part/sound in general. I think if I did a mix of this again (no!) I'd try editing out every other note and maybe an interesting delay to fill in the missing notes. Oh maybe a triple delay to add more of a galloping feel. On this mix it sounds fine but even with the eq you've done to it it feels too 'in your face'. But in the end that's just the nature of that part.
I quite liked the part, it's a completely different sound to the rest of the song, but I found it muddied things up horribly. Those parts of the song are quite dense already, so I just kept the top-end of the Rhodes and pushed it out to the sides.

(05-11-2016, 01:44 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I think that's everything that comes to mind. Sorry to be so wordy/unhelpful. My coffee hasn't kicked in yet.
It's all good, thanks for taking the time. I think it's easy to get caught up in the technical side of things, but a lot of what we do are artistic decisions and ultimately, they have a much bigger effect on the final mix.
Mixing and mastering at jtbStudio.com
My music at JazzTeddyBears.com

Messages In This Thread
Color Me Red - jtbStudio - by jtbStudio - 05-11-2016, 11:40 AM
RE: Color Me Red - jtbStudio - by jeffd42 - 05-11-2016, 01:01 PM
RE: Color Me Red - jtbStudio - by jtbStudio - 05-11-2016, 11:39 PM
RE: Color Me Red - jtbStudio - by Roy - 05-11-2016, 01:44 PM
RE: Color Me Red - jtbStudio - by jtbStudio - 05-11-2016, 11:51 PM
RE: Color Me Red - jtbStudio - by Mike Senior - 21-11-2016, 08:34 PM
RE: Color Me Red - jtbStudio - by jtbStudio - 22-11-2016, 12:49 PM