Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Place for Us Mixed by Dcp
Here's my first mix and master of this track, this set of multis had a challenge similar to that of 64 Bristol in that alot of tracks seemed to be redundant and needed to be weeded through in order to end up with a cohesive arrangement and mix.

I ended up scrapping most of the drums for the samples that were included and used the Taiko track blended with the Drumkit 2 Sub kick and kick in tracks. The snare has a stereo reverb on it to spread it out some more and the whole drum buss is run through an Waves SSL Buss Compressor and T Racks Soft Clipper for some punch.

The bass is run through TSE B.O.D Version 1, highpassed at 80 Hz, and then run through CLA Bass to tie it together. I also used a Kjaerhus Audio Classic chorus and some fader automation to bring the bass out in certain sections.

The biggest battle was the backing vocals in my opinion. Almost every part was quad tracked and when summed together, seemed to muddy up the track. In the end I used the quad tracked choir style backing vocals and eliminated much of the quad tracked harmony lines as this seemed to be a best of both worlds kind of setup.

The lead vocals were recorded quite well and just needed a bit of EQ and minor compression to even them out and remove some boxiness. The vocals got some fader automation and a CLA Style plate reverb, slap back delay, and 1/4 note delay for some ambiance.

For the Staccato and ensemble strings, I used a bit crusher to dirty them up and as a bit of contrast between the clean soli strings.

Cheers,
Dcp

.mp3    A Plae for Us Master 1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.29 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

Messages In This Thread
A Place for Us Mixed by Dcp - by dcp10200 - 12-10-2016, 09:04 PM
RE: A Place for Us Mixed by Dcp - by thedon - 13-10-2016, 07:55 AM
RE: A Place for Us Mixed by Dcp - by dcp10200 - 13-10-2016, 02:03 PM