Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix
Thanks for detailed post. I read it couple of times and I have a strong illusion that I understood everything and I also tend to agree with everything.

I guess RMS is better suited for checkin the optimal audio levels for analogical gear and for converters sweet spot, if there’s such thing. ANd modern LU metering probably is trying mimic human listening experience. If so, then RMS would be in theory better meter during mixing process, but in practise there's probably no relevant audible difference as long as one leaves big enough head room. But I’m not trying to be expert on this area.

I might try that spotify trick. So far I have used excellent finnish library system, where I can find almost any cd from big enough stars. I can order it by net and fetch it after couple of days from nearest library. But sometimes "couple of days" is eternity.

If one follows Spotify’s loudness standard in (pseudo) mastering, then it’s safe not to have peak to loudness ratio higher than -10-12 dbs. If peak to loudness ratio is for example around -16 dbs, then Spotify must use their own limiting or leave the music 4 dbs quiter than others. I think I’ve read somewhere that they are limiting with not so good limiter if material is too dynamic. So in that sense targeting integrated loudness to -10-12 dbs is pretty safe choise. (This is layman interpretation of technical material I’ve read in web.)

If there comes a strom of your (our) opinions, I think I just go behind the nearest tree and check from there what happens Smile It’s just too difficult for me to write with foreign language of technical issues where I don’t claim to be an expert. So thank you and good luck!

Messages In This Thread
James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 21-09-2016, 03:27 PM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 22-09-2016, 10:59 AM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 22-09-2016, 02:15 PM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 23-09-2016, 02:40 PM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 24-09-2016, 03:22 AM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by Olli H - 24-09-2016, 08:49 AM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 24-09-2016, 03:28 PM