Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix
(22-09-2016, 01:35 PM)Olli H Wrote: Interesting approach. I think ...

You're right, this type of mix won't work in an environment with a good amount off background noise, such as a car.

I try to work with ear mostly, still using meters too as supportive guides. I trust the system level calibration provides me sufficent headroom, so I initally try set the levels with DAW faders just by ear. After the initial setup I just check the meters (RME Digicheck) that I'm somewhere around -20 dBFS RMSish and LUFSish and thus good to go further and start tweaking detail, usually in mono and instrument soloed, checking every now and then how it fits in the bigger picture. After this part I hit the dim to take monitors down 12 dBs so, that I can hear only the character sound from each channel/instrument and start readjusting levels and panning of the full mix. Then possible effects and automation, but I mostly put here almost static mixes, as the automation part is the most laborous part. Even if it is usually the most important aspect, with this site it's usually not worth it, as I try to focus here in the overall sound in 'how the h*ll did he get this sound out f these tracks' manner, and then try to imitate those mixes, still following my own sense of aesthetics.

Messages In This Thread
James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 21-09-2016, 03:27 PM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 22-09-2016, 10:59 AM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 22-09-2016, 02:15 PM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 23-09-2016, 02:40 PM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 24-09-2016, 03:22 AM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 24-09-2016, 03:28 PM