Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Official Band's Thread: MUSIC & GEAR VIDEO! Q&A, detailed information etc.
(11-10-2016, 11:19 PM)parnellij Wrote: Just wanted to say thanks for uploading such a great recording of a great song. The drum triggers were awesome for gating the toms and the multiple mics plus DI gave me more flexibility than I ever had before.

The only small problem I had was the vocals had a harsh spike around 4.1k and then 5k-6k was practically missing. Maybe something wrong with the mic or preamp, or possibly a de-esser cranked up?

-EDIT-
I forgot there were multiple vocal mics too. Shame on me! I could have picked another one!

Anyway, thanks again. I think this song is the first mix I've done that I didn't hate when I listened to it the next day Smile

Hi Parnellij,
First off, thanks for your kind words! We're pleased to share our tracks here. It helps us along our way to proper sound engineering due to massive feedback and becoming a better band because of musical references here. So, don't thank us, thank you!
Second:
TheMetallurgist pointed out the problems with the vocal recordings earlier in another thread. If you took a look on the music video you would've seen that the singer's distance to the microphone varies a lot which messes with the lower mids and basses in form of modulating the proximity effect a lot. New resonances peak out whereas other frequencies vanish.
The md421 doesn't really help in my opinion. It's a little less sharp than the nt1a but not ideal either. We're just going to take care of proper preamping and not vary the distance of the singer to the mic that much anymore.
That's a classic recording mistake you notice afterwards.
Won't happen a second time! Plus, there's a good chance we're getting a Shure SM7 for the next recordings which would be a huge plus.

Cheers,
Till

Messages In This Thread
RE: Official Band's Thread: MUSIC & GEAR VIDEO! Q&A, detailed information etc. - by wurstdrummer - 12-10-2016, 09:51 AM