Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
James May: Hold On You - Headphone mix (semi-professional)
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know it is translating well. It is entirely possible that the mix is a bit too bright.. a common pitfall with these headphones. As long as it doesn't hurt the ears then I guess it's fine. Keep in mind that the track hasn't been mastered so I only threw a basic limiter (Voxengo Elephant in this case) at the end of the chain so any slight excessive brightness could probably be fixed in mastering.

I'll try to post pictures of my mixing session so you can see what I've done. Anybody know if it's possible to upload images directly here on the forum (is it allowed?) or do I need to use an image hosting site like imgur?

The basic trick to getting the drums punchy is to time align everything carefully. I simply zoomed into the waveforms in Reaper and aligned the phases as best as I could. I removed the weird noises and frequencies in the two kick drum tracks and then carefully combined the "best" frequencies from both to get them to play together. Finally I checked the phases of the overall tracks to one another. I ended up flipping the phase of the overhead track and the electric and acoustic guitar (this made them separate slightly from the overall image, giving them some additional breathing space).

The snare track, as you all know, is very weird and goes completely useless in the middle of the song.. probably the engineer toggling the phase reverse switch in the middle of recording or something. So it is almost useless. I ended up Low-pass Filtering pretty much everything above 2kHz so as to only keep the snare and stick thump.

Messages In This Thread
RE: James May: Hold On You - Headphone mix (semi-professional) - by bmanic - 28-12-2015, 11:01 PM