Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Forkupines - 'Sleep By The Fire, Bloom In Water' - mixed by mick2015
(25-10-2015, 12:15 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: careful, some females who are brave enough to enter this den of testosterone and ego, might find that sexist? Wink

I work with a large team of females and believe me, if I DIDN'T refer to them as "the guys" in a group context, the consequences would be nothing short of dire! Incidentally, it could be considered presumptuous that you have assumed I am male Wink

(25-10-2015, 12:15 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: this kick would benefit from depth placement in order to provide the illusion that it's sitting in with the rest of the kit, unless this was a creative decision?

The kick has a room reverb that is blended via parallel send. This is a creative decision as I wanted the kick to be more aggressive. I have checked all in mono and even on an iPhone speaker and it appears to translate well. If the kick was to be placed further in the depth of field, it would simply lose presence and punch.

(25-10-2015, 12:15 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: i felt the toms weren't panned according to the width in the OH's, you might want to check that out.

Noted, I will double check this.

(25-10-2015, 12:15 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: e.g. the bass guitar solo intro (and the rest of it) is immediately distracting...because it doesn't have ambiance, neither does the kick or the eguitar intro. an intro to any song is crucial because it sets the listener up for the rest of the song. woe betide anyone who mucks this up. to some extent we are constrained by the arrangement. or are we?

Your usage of the term 'distracting' is puzzling. Are you saying that you do not wish for your attention to be drawn to this particular aspect of the song? Dynamics is created by contrast. If you dislike the entire mix, that is an entirely different topic. It is important when providing critical feedback to be specific and also provide suggestions for a solution, rather than simply highlighting a subjective flaw, or being vague and/or obtuse.

(25-10-2015, 12:15 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: going back to the vocal from my previous post, if i may? there's an over-abundance of proximity in the tracking and it's frequency response is wrong for providing the illusion of real proximity. the sm7 is crippled by it's lack of treble, other than abundant sibilance!!!! it also makes many singers sound like they've got a bad cold and its application here is no exception. the sm57 and sm58's are similar nightmares!!!!! i don't know if this guy is just nasal as hell, has a cold, or whether it's the mic screwing him up, but it's not good. some attempt at getting air/treble into the mic by removing the pop filter but it never works. my solution is to throw the mic out the window and buy something more suitable for the job! lol.

This comment is unnecessary, rhetorical and somewhat offensive.

(25-10-2015, 12:15 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: switch your mix to mono and listen to the verse, the transition into the chorus, and the chorus itself. focus only on the eguitars. what goes wrong?

now listen to the balance of your instruments also in mono.....what sticks out, what gets buried?

??

(25-10-2015, 12:15 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: thanks indeed for helping us develop our listening skills as well as hear a different perspective than our own. keep it up Wink

I can't help but think that there is a condescending undertone with this comment. I also note that you have not uploaded a mix to this particular song, however you have been quite active in your responses and overall criticisms of others. Quite frankly, at the moment you are coming across as a kid wearing a black belt in a karate class who claims to have all the answers, yet never gets onto the mat to spar. The purpose of this educational forum is not to display technical puffery or chest-beating superiority, but simply to mix music and share with others with the ultimate aim of helping each other improve. None of us have all the answers and if you have ever worked in the professional audio industry (or any service based industry), you would know that the client is king.

I thank you for spending the obviously significant amount of time in listening to both my mixes and the others on this thread and genuinely encourage you to provide us all with an example of your recommendations. It is also important to note there is no malice intended with any of my comments and all comments are in the interest of the integrity of this forum. Thanks again.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Forkupines - 'Sleep By The Fire, Bloom In Water' - mixed by mick2015 - by mick2015 - 26-10-2015, 03:53 AM