Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bravestar - The Metallurgist's "Tragedy" Mix.
an interesting proj. normally, one would deal with the parameter and sound shaping during the build process.....so it's darn rare to have something like this to mix when separated from the construction. and it's that bit that makes it more difficult and time consuming. because with so many elements each demanding attention in their own way, the work load can get hazardous. another reason why a mix engineer wouldn't come across something like this i dare say....because the budget wouldn't stand for it.

i found the concept unintelligible...perhaps that was the concept - no concept, and was simply a process the artist engaged with on a purely personal, bohemian level. no worries. i found myself wondering if the sound of the waves was that of the Dorset coast, a bit of a tourist trap if ever there was one, and not without good reason. i note the artist came from a nearby town. perhaps the voice was indeed that of a tourist......but no Herring Gulls? i hear they are on the Red List of endangered species...such a common boyhood sound associated with the coast, on the verge of being lost. best not get into politics and population density...

this multi sounded like 2 different composing sessions, being clearly divided into completely different presentations, the sort of thing that can happen when picking up an unfinished project while in a different mood and emotional state of mind, and finishing it off. i found myself trying to fight it and re-organise something out of the apparent disparity. and while doing so, felt i was in need of some sort of foundation for the whole thing.....

.....and that's when i used the voice. it's buried quite deep in a lot of noise, however, feeding it through some noise reduction gear gave me something that was acceptably clear and defined sufficient for purposes.

i have fiddled and noodled around with some of the other materials quite a bit, especially the percussion based stuff, but my main priority was not to lose the essence of the original delivery. i've gone for some less than subtle strategies here, like the phase issue with the dog snoring....in the lounge...with the ticking clock. the cymbal for example, (which some might mention is toward the bright side in it's presentation - it would be a fair observation) is presented "in your face". but with this sort of thing...anything goes. my only problem was knowing when to stop; i could noodle with this for the rest of my life and go off on all sorts of jollies. so it's time to post, before i lose touch with reality in it's entirety.

this project has some major DC offset issues, at a level which will compromise audio quality if left unattended. if you didn't check and went ahead regardless...best not make a habit of it, i'd say. material like this is especially susceptible.

no feedback is necessary really, given that objectivity is going to be a bit difficult with something off the beaten track like this. but if you do, it's welcomed....

....wotevaaaa, thanks for listening. Big Grin

Post amendment:
i've since removed the download link for the 24bit file. if someone is interested at any time in hearing the other 78 percent which an mp3 will deny you(!), PM me and i can make a link available for the pull.

.mp3    Bravestar-Downtempo_The_METALLURGISTS_Tragedy Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.16 MB)

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
Bravestar - The Metallurgist's "Tragedy" Mix. - by The_Metallurgist - 18-06-2015, 05:34 PM