Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silona - Learning How to Fly
You know what, I've learned my lesson.  "Hi, here's my mix," and that's it.    Big Grin

I mean, of course tracking took more time than mixing, trust me I know.   I actually had nothing but praise for  the mic'ing, the performances.  It's just bloated.  

RoyM, I take your meaning.   On my first post, I was being snotty, J-pop isn't my jam, I didn't like mixing this one, whatever, the number of tracks, and you took me to task, and I totally deserved it, because [this is the part that I've deleted out of embarassment]  I came across as a jerk.   Unprofessional.   Bad first impression, and I'm new here.    I get it.    Maybe after I'm here for awhile, and you get to know me better, we'll see better where we're coming from.   

I understand you're saying the producer will have added all the tracks with the specific intention of each of them being included.    ...    You could be right.   ...   I saw 88 tracks with no bounce-down, no consolidation, each mic included separately, and it says to me that decisions were expected to be made at the mix stage.   It's a kitchen-sink set of tracks.  One principle I was taught was producer-as-reducer.   The ones that I lowered or lost, I don't miss.  As far as the flow of the song, I absolutely think it flows better with this arrangement, I spliced up the rhythm / percussion tracks as I saw fit to make it flow and build.    These are production choices.  You and I would produce differently, make different creative choices.   The artist may have put everything in there and she intends for it all to be layered in there.   We just don't know.  We mix with the tools we're given.     I appreciate your critique, I do disagree with you on a lot, but that's what this is all about.   I am ashamed my attitude caused a sour note.  

I will not apologize for complaining about the tuning of the vocal, it is shamefully robotic, way too much.   I  hope the singer has more confidence in her voice to not let it be tuned to that degree in the future, or at least to include the untuned track.   
     I do agree about the bass being tubby,  and the vocal low end - which was actually the reverb return being a little rich.  

Sorry about the screed.
   Thanks.
boomaga  (Drew Perkins)
MTSU Mass Comm Recording Industry, BS in Audio Recording Production & Tech, 2004
 using Cubase 10

Gear List

Messages In This Thread
Silona - Learning How to Fly - by boomaga - 13-07-2020, 10:30 PM
RE: Silone - Learning How to Fly - by Roy - 13-07-2020, 11:09 PM
RE: Silone - Learning How to Fly - by boomaga - 14-07-2020, 05:33 AM
RE: Silone - Learning How to Fly - by boomaga - 08-08-2020, 06:40 AM
RE: Silona - Learning How to Fly - by boomaga - 24-07-2020, 03:35 AM