Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purple Hat Mob - Access Denied [OoF]
Hi,

Nice mix!

I recall the raw tracks presented quite some challenges from memory (the 'merits' of my mix aside of course heh).

I am hearing some distortion on the siren at the 3 second mark? Not sure if it is on the original recording or not (haven't checked yet). Can't hear it on my mix anyway... Maybe intentional?

Balance and panning choices are generally really good too.

Couple of minor things that came to mind -

I am not sure about the level of the guitar that comes in at at the 57s mark. I think if it was a touch lower, it might improve the impact of the synth that comes in for the chorus in the next section? I feel it needs to kind of bridge the energy level between the intro and the chorus and I am not sure it is quite doing that at the moment perhaps?

Likewise, the lead synth that kicks in for the chorus - it gives impact, but might be touch too much (loud) and pushes the vocal back a touch? Not sure.

It is tough to be critical with this though - as you say it's difficult to make it work because of the arrangement and there is a lot sharing the same frequency range. These are the only things I noticed, so the rest is all good.

Yeah, good comment regarding matching loudness for comparison. I always try and do this when referencing, etc.

Regarding 'mastering', etc -

Yeah,of course from personal experience it is really easy to go too far with limiting etc, when the mix is maybe what needs the work. I think crushing things terribly with a multiband limiter is an essential part of learning experience though Smile.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Purple Hat Mob - Access Denied [OoF] - by mikej - 27-06-2020, 07:01 PM