Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Silona - Learning How To Fly (mix 4.0)
(07-06-2020, 03:57 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

To be honest I think I got a bit carried away with it and really should have waited a couple of days before posting so I could do some referencing with other tracks, etc, with fresh ears.   

I feel I am wanting this to be kind of more pop than acoustic, so not sure if I am trying to turn it in to something it doesn't quite want to be.. or not. 

I'll be sure to check your mix in a day or two once I have recovered some sense of perspective!

Cheers!
Sometimes I find it helps to just print a mix. Set it in stone and analyze that. I think mentally we approach that differently than a mix we know we can just continue to tweak. There's nothing wrong with posting a work in progress. "In the real world" it'd be the time the client comes in and listens and gives feedback and direction. We really can't think we'd drop a mix that's right from the start. That's the purpose of this forum. So, it's cool to post a mix that might not be perfect. In fact, it's even better.

I'd say it's a pop tune. And never fight a mix. Most of the time the song will tell you what it wants to be. If you're really trying to go in a direction and hit a wall it's probably "you" (the mixer) and not the song.

This is a song that seems to need a few days after mixing. I keep listening to other mixes but not in the headspace to comment on them just yet. There's a lot going on but it's a blend, not individual parts. So until I forget what's going on I still focus on tracks that I know are in the mix as opposed to the mix. In the end I think this needs to be viewed as an orchestra as opposed to the right level of the 2nd mic on guitar 4 or the trash mic on the outro snare. If that makes any sense. I'm ranting.
It doesn't have to sound good. People just need to think it sounds good.

Messages In This Thread
Silona - Learning How To Fly (mix 4.0) - by mikej - 04-06-2020, 08:56 PM
RE: Silona - Learning How To Fly - by Roy - 04-06-2020, 11:10 PM
RE: Silona - Learning How To Fly - by mikej - 05-06-2020, 02:03 AM
RE: Silona - Learning How To Fly - by thedon - 06-06-2020, 11:03 PM
RE: Silona - Learning How To Fly - by mikej - 07-06-2020, 03:57 PM
RE: Silona - Learning How To Fly - by Roy - 07-06-2020, 04:16 PM
RE: Silona - Learning How To Fly - by mikej - 09-06-2020, 08:47 PM