Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
These are very nice tracks, but dang, it was a tough one
(02-05-2020, 05:19 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

A good mix overall.

On headphones I initially really noticed the vocal reverb/delay but I think that is because my version is quite dry in comparison.  It's sometimes too easy to get used to one's own mix and view any differences as an issue as such.  The vocal effect doesn't jump out at me so much on speakers though, and it felt ok on subsequent listens.  It might build up behind the vocal just a touch though perhaps, but not by much.

Regarding Roy's comments about the snare... I lined up and level matched my mix and the reference mix with yours to check, and the vocals and snare do sound much wider in your mix in comparison perhaps?  Not sure, but it might be simply the reverb being used, or something?  Not sure if it is an issue as such, but as they are both in the centre it might be an idea to have wide snare and more centered vocals, or maybe centered snare and wide vocals, so there is something anchored a bit more in the middle?

I don't have any other comments or complaints really.  I know I found this really tough for some reason and had a couple of goes at it.

Oh, maybe a longer fadeout could work, and maybe play about with the fadeout curve shape a bit perhaps too?  Not sure what the guitarist would think of it though!

Cheers!
Thanks for listening and for your comments. You too are too kind. I am really not happy about this first edition.

Anyhow, I always keep the snare dead center, so I'm guessing that the placement issues is caused by bleed in the overheads. yeah, I got a bit carried away, when I had to determine how much cybal I wanted in the mix ...

I don't think that the vox delay causes too much build up behind the vocal becuase it's a rather short delay, so there's nothing running completely wild behind the vocal, if that makes any sense.

I haven't heard the reference mix - I seldom do, because I wanna go into a mix with a clean slate, and  because I don't wanna do a replica of the reference mix - I did, however, listen to your mix and a couple of others, who all ... let's just say, know what they are doing, for inspiration after this first failure. I am currently working on a v2, which I hope will be ... well, not more like the ref. mix, but just something I will be more pleased with.

Again, thanks for your time
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow

Messages In This Thread
RE: These are very nice tracks, but dang, it was a tough one - by Krabbe - 02-05-2020, 08:06 PM