Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Forthcoming Turn - Dwarf mix
(30-04-2020, 11:50 AM)registered Wrote: Hello dwarf,
Funny, I've also started mixing with that same song, which is far of being the most accessible mix to start with. You've did a great job as I found difficult to clean up the guitar parts, not to mention how to deal with the bleed of the drums.
EQ of the different tracks are very nice, though it lacks a little bit of warmth but that's my personal taste.
The only thing I noted is that the snare samples are too robotic (especially on the break parts).
Maybe that's because it is kind of a dry sound, and doesn't blend well with the rest. Kicks are a bit weird if you check at 1m24, when it is played alone but blend well when other
instruments are in.
Check also at 3m54 for the snare, there is one strike that seems out of place or added when it shouldn't.
I suggest applying a little bit of reverb on the snare to make it sound more natural, and messing up with different dynamics, playing with audio gain on each single strike
 to make it more human...
But do not take for granted what I say as I'm also new to mixing  Tongue

Have fun and enjoy!
Hello registered,
Thank you for the feedback! I checked your suggestions, and tried to fix the mix according to them.
For the robotic snare I fine tuned the trigger plugin, and set it to use 4 slightly different velocity. (in r1 there was only one)
Also added a little bit of reverb to the snare, but I do not know if it enough or not. Smile
Kicks at 1m24: I created a new track for these few hits, and tried to EQ them differently.
Snare at 3m54: I totally overlooked this part... there is a snare roll, and the trigger plugin not detected it with my settings.
I do not want to mess up the other parts, so instead of modifying the trigger settings, I created a new track, and used the original snare roll there.
I exported the updated mix too, and attached to the first post.

Thank you very much for the feedback, these were very good points. Smile

Messages In This Thread
The Forthcoming Turn - Dwarf mix - by dwarf - 30-04-2020, 10:06 AM
RE: The Forthcoming Turn - Dwarf mix - by dwarf - 01-05-2020, 11:44 AM
RE: The Forthcoming Turn - Dwarf mix - by dwarf - 03-05-2020, 09:52 AM
RE: The Forthcoming Turn - Dwarf mix - by dwarf - 06-05-2020, 05:12 PM