Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Forthcoming Turn Registered Mix
nah fam I don't think you really fixed the guitar panning problem. Great to know that you're a metalhead as am I, so I can easily give you references without sounding like a weirdo. Hard panning means turning the pan knob ALL THE WAY to either left or right side. A hard-panned mono track should only come from one speaker/headphone ear. I know it sounds rather extreme and counter intuitive. I've been there too but whether through recording history or arrangement choices, it IS the industry standard. Bands have made arrangements based off of this technique (the technical term is LCR panning). I'm gonna give you some references so you can really hear what hardpanning sounds like. Put on your headphones.

Slipknot - Surfacing ... In the intro listen the guitars. The drop tuning rhythm guitar riff is coming out of the left ear. Only when vocals come in and the songs takes off that you hear another same guitar riff on your right too, creating the wall of guitars that surrounds the whole mix.

Slipknot - Liberate ... a cleaner example. At the very start guitar comes from the right for one riff, and then the second one another guitar also comes in from the left.

Veil of Maya - Manichee ... this song literally uses LCR panning for arrangement purposes. Listen to the guitars section around 1.00 min. If the guitars were all centered it would destroy the purpose of the arrangement entirely.

Think of it like this : A standard 5-person metal band, one vocalist, one bassist, one drummer, and two guitarists. In a live set those two guitarists would be positioned at the very left and right, drummer at the center to show off his cool ass kick drum sticker, and the vocalist at the center in front as he is the frontman, and the bassist behind him because noone cares about him (lol jk). A standard metal mix is pretty much based off of that. Rhythm guitars (the riff ones) hardpanned L&R with leads and ambients fillin the gap in between. Bass and main vocal strictly at the center. Drums are a little bit extra. Kick and snare at the center, but perspective matters : Audience's perspective (toms go from R to L, hihats on right) or Drummer's Perspective (the opposite), the choice between the to totally depends on you and the band just make sure you give the correct 'audio picture' of the kit. It is also advisable not to hard pan drums cause drums too wide will undermine the wall of guitars. Give them like 70%-80% of the stereo image.

good job one the editing, but fix the guitars first so we can have a clearer space in the middle to really listen how the drums should sound like. Also don't use reverb on bass, it's a classic mix destroyer recipe. And practice abstaining from using too much reverb. It will always make things sound better in solo, but will also surely make the mix muddy and ameteurish. I've been there too. Let's wait until you get to songs with vocals and you'll understand more what I mean.

Let me know what DAW you use so I can help you out more, because maybe you just don't know your way around it yet.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Forthcoming Turn Registered Mix - by bcs_mix - 27-04-2020, 06:38 PM