Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1
Hi Mike and Mike, thank you for the replies! I didn't see this response until just now, but just finished up a mix2 that I'm about to post.

I've learned a lot in the past few days, about both mixing and mastering.
- For mixing, I learned to start from scratch and take a visual approach with it. What's the overall experience/space you want your listeners to enjoy?
- For mastering, I THINK I understand what folks are doing now. I'm not entirely sure what professional mastering engineers are doing, but here's my best guess, and this is what I did on mix2 (granted, approaching your mix is slightly different IF you are also Mastering the track, of course!): Got my mix sitting around -6dB overall > applied bus compressor and ensured it stayed around -6dB > subtractive EQ > stereo imaging > ensure that it's not going louder than -1dB > then apply limiter (using the gain boost to taste).

I'm very happy with my new mix2, particularly the clarity I'm achieving.

For Mastering tone, I tried a bunch of miscellaneous stuff like Bass-harmonic-enhancer stuff, Voxengo tube amp, Voxengo MSED, Multiband, and Boz Little Clipper...but ultimately realized this is POINTLESS to attach to your mastering IF you are in charge of the mixing too. At least imo. I'd rather try to make the mix perfect.

And for Mastering overall volume, I just started a trial of the FabFilter L-2 Pro and it is SO COOL. I love the Loudness guide on the right regarding the LUFS. I started by cranking my mix, but ultimately brought it down 5dB Smile because I found this awesome site: https://www.loudnesspenalty.com/

Thanks again for reply and critique, mikej! Mike S, that would be awesome to see what kinds of things you did.

Messages In This Thread
Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1 - by fehling89 - 09-04-2020, 07:52 PM
RE: Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1 - by mikej - 12-04-2020, 11:44 PM
RE: Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1 - by fehling89 - 13-04-2020, 04:32 PM
RE: Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1 - by fehling89 - 13-04-2020, 04:37 PM
RE: Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1 - by Quathamer - 14-04-2020, 04:34 AM
RE: Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1 - by mikej - 14-04-2020, 10:25 AM
RE: Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1 - by mikej - 15-07-2020, 04:54 PM