Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1
Hi!

First off, not a bad mix.

I saw your post and had some immediate thoughts that may or may not be of help. These are all things I have been thinking about and trying recently.

I too have similar questions regarding the Mike S mix. It would be really amazing to be able to check out the actual session!

Master bus chain:

Try removing the multiband, stereo imager and tape saturation. The multiband and tape saturation may be changing the frequency and dynamic balance of your mix too much. They might also be absorbing a lot of your mix dynamics and punch.

The tape saturation might help getting things a bit more mid focussed though, and could be the icing on the cake, but sometimes a mix is better without. They tend to change the overall eq of a mix, and sometimes the change is not beneficial. You might find you get a better result with just compressor > eq > limiter.

I would maybe try putting the width enhancement after the tape saturation, rather than before, if you are going to use it.

Regarding loudness and clarity:

I have a feeling that a lot of this is down to the instrument balance. Check the instrument and frequency balance of Mike's mix. The distorted vox, and general balance of the instruments in the mix is geared toward giving the impression of loudness. I think there is probably less low end in his mix than it appears which enables the mix to get loud and clear. Too much low end also means you probably won't be able to hit the limiter as hard.

Compare the low end and level of each instrument to your mix - it might give you some clues. The snare is quite prominent in his mix too I think compared to the kick, cymbals and vocals?

I think you could maybe add a touch more punch to the snare in your mix with that 1176?

I can't offer any guidance for the guitars though really. I am thinking it might just be panning, eq, and a touch of reverb. Possibly some tape saturation or something too perhaps? If you pan the guitars to like 80% or something they sound pretty wide I think?

Anyway, you raised some interesting questions and I wanted to at least try and keep the conversation going a bit. Maybe others will be able to offer you some further insight, especially with regard to the guitars.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1 - by fehling89 - 09-04-2020, 07:52 PM
RE: Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1 - by mikej - 12-04-2020, 11:44 PM
RE: Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1 - by fehling89 - 13-04-2020, 04:32 PM
RE: Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1 - by fehling89 - 13-04-2020, 04:37 PM
RE: Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1 - by Quathamer - 14-04-2020, 04:34 AM
RE: Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1 - by mikej - 14-04-2020, 10:25 AM
RE: Symphony of Silence - TCF mix1 - by mikej - 15-07-2020, 04:54 PM