Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Fell From The Sky: 'Not You'
Hey guys,

My names Rick. I just found this site. It's awesome!!! Wish I would of found this a lot time ago. Thanks to Mike and everyone else that has put their time into this site... I just re-built my studio and had a control room installed so I figured I would try something new to get my ears adjusted. So, here we go.

I decided to use Logic 9 on this project. First off I wasn't going to send the extra time fixing all the timing issues with the bands performance. Normally I would but like I said I just wanted to get back into it. Also, no pitch correction on vox. After I listen to everything and did a quick mix. I started by muting all the room mics on the drums. I thought the samples were pretty weak. I swapped on the kick and snr to some samples I thought would stand out better. I really liked the toms. I cleaned them up by doing a strip to silence and crossfaded. Then to a aux with compressor , eq, and send to drums verb. Next I kept the HH and OH1. They went to an aux with an eq, exciter, and then a stereo spread. All drums except toms went to another aux named Drums where I had another eq and compressor for final tuning.

Gtrs were very overdriven wished they had a DI but I kinda liked them on the Chorus. I kept all the gtr tracks but spilt up the choruses and verse on gtr 1 & 2. I did the Haas fx on gtrs 1 & 2. Still the gtrs weren't to my liking. I re-amped them using logics amp sim. I really wished there was DI's...lol. So now I have gtrs 3 & 4 for the verses and choruses. On GtrFx (intro gtr) I tried a few eq fxs (megaphone, radio) but that really a personal taste so I left it alone. It did go though an amp sim like before but clean. Then though enveloper exciter and a spreader. There's a fx on v2 which has a eq dip around 560 -7.5db, boost at 2.8k +3.5db, boost HSF 7.4k +7db All the gtrs then went to an aux called All Gtrs. On that track it hit an eq with LPF at 85, a bump at 670 -2.5db, another at 3.5k -4.5, and rolled off 11.8k. Then came another eq called Match eq that had a side-chain to the snr track. I already had this in my channel presets where the eq of the snr would be inverted in the All Gtrs track to make room for the snr. Finally a slight compressor at the end for the rough edges.

Bass was a DI lol. I tried a couple presets built into logic but I thought the bass sounded to fake. I put it though an eleven rack by digidesign. That was close. But still needed an eq to level out the highs from the amp sim. Then compressed at 5.5:1. Bass was sent to Main Output.

Synth was eq heavily. LPF at 360hz, boost at 1080 +6db, drop at 5.5k -9db. Then a Stereo Spread.

On the vox I listen to the overdubs and just picked the ones I liked better. I didnt do any editing on this project. I definitely should have though. Well I omitted 4 vox tracks and spilt on into 2 tracks. All vox go out to an aux called All Vox. These tracks all needed some heavy de-esser. After came a Compressor at 5:1 ratio. Then eq that took out the lows around 142hz , boost at 200 +4db, boost at 500 +3.5db, boost at 3.75k +6.5db, drop at 4050 -7db, and boost at 4750 +3.5db. All Vox had a send to Vox Verb with a preset of a large room then mod a really short length of .099s . I split up the whispers to a left and right pan then sent them to an aux called WHISPERS. There they went through an enveloper and stereo spread. On the bridge I had the "Not You" put through an echo delay. Which was automated on the vol up and down and the pan left and right.

Alright, now I had a ton of auxs they were leveled and sent to the Stereo Output. Which had a nice easy lin phase eq. Then came the Multpressor which is a multi compressor if you couldn't tell. Where I used a fast attack just bc of the type of song this was. After came the stereo spread. And then the Limiter which I think was 8.27 boost.

This took about 6 hours. I made myself mix 1 and I believe mix 2. I listen to both for about a week and made mental notes on what I liked about each mix. Then, today I spent another couple hours tweaking the mixes. I came out with mix 3 & 4. Mix 3 is a softer version with lower vox then mix 4. On mix 4 I was going more aggressive approach.

Look forward to your opinions and suggestions. Like I said earlier I'm glad to now be apart of this site.

Thanks,
Rick

.mp3    We Fell From The Sky Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.72 MB)

.mp3    We Fell From The Sky Mix 4.mp3 --  (Download: 7.72 MB)

Messages In This Thread
We Fell From The Sky: 'Not You' - by brokenstarsfl - 02-09-2013, 07:21 AM
RE: We Fell From The Sky: 'Not You' - by bmullen - 30-09-2013, 06:05 AM
RE: We Fell From The Sky: 'Not You' - by takka360 - 30-09-2013, 11:57 PM