Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E J Rios: 'Echo (feat. Analise Rios)'
Hi,

First off, I am bit concerned that I feel your analysis graph of the Pink and Selena tracks differs from mine? I hadn't actually analysed the tracks with meters before seeing your graph, but my graphs do seem to match what I am hearing and describing? I honestly was a bit concerned as the Pink track looks completely off to me in your graph. As is the nature of perception and hearing I was honestly preparing myself for a bit of a shock!

Regarding mix referencing, I have only got the hang of it and the philosophy behind it in the last couple of weeks, as I try to solve problems with my own mixes, so I have some way to go still.

I think specific tracks are going to vary for all of us, as we will all have different tastes, and aims. I am finding I am using different tracks for different things, eg overall balance, snare sound, vocal effects, guitar width and tone, etc. There is a section in Mike Senior's book about reference mixes, but I only truly 'get it' now that I am looking for solutions to solve particular mix problems I'm having.

I hope this link is allowed, but as I mentioned - if you go here: https://www.youtube.com/user/BillboardDance/videos

There are videos of all the latest hot tracks by the current top selling broad genres. They are chart run-down videos so there are clips of 50 tracks in 5 minutes, categorised by genre. I just pick the tracks I like.

If I am lucky I will find one or two per 50 tracks that stand out. I have created DAW sessions per genre, with collections of level matched tracks I like that I can rapidly switch between, and compare with my own mixes. I think there are also many playlists on youtube, spotify, etc that you can seek out and would be useful too, also music podcasts and mixes, etc.

I am also rediscovering stuff from the last 10 years that I perhaps unfairly overlooked at the time, and that I now have a new appreciation for.

I think my references will continually change and evolve. The current contents of my 'Pop Mixes' folder is stuff like:

Selena Gomez - Look At Her Now
Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now
Bebe Rexha - Last Hurrah
Benny Blanco, Halsey & Khalid - Eastside
Ava Max - Sweet but Psycho
Halsey - Without Me
Ariana Grande - Boyfriend
Troye Sivan - Dance to This
Cardi B & Bruno Mars - Please Me

For Pop, today I want to be seeking out tracks mixed by Serban Ghenea, Manny Marroquin, Jaycen Joshua, Josh Gudwin, etc, etc. Tomorrow, who knows what will be catching my ear.

Also, I recall the reference mix for this track being pretty strong and unbeatable for me. I also discovered the other day that it seems this track did get a release and you can find it on Youtube.

Hope this is of some help!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
RE: E J Rios: 'Echo (feat. Analise Rios)' - by mikej - 19-11-2019, 03:43 PM