Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better (PlasticDish Mix)
Hi,
a warm and fat sounding mix, just the way I like it! :-) Not bad at all, but if you want some suggestions on what could be improved, here´s my opinion:

Like you guessed there seem to be some problems with the compression settings in deed. Hard to say if it´s bus compression or on individual channels. You can hear the initial crash cymbal is extremely influenced by compression, probably on the drum bus, it gets ducked initially then comes back up slowly. You always hear it on the cymbals first when there is too much compression going on on the drum bus. They start sounding overprocessed and unnatural pretty quickly. Instead I would rather compress the drums individually or alternatively set up two drum busses, one "transient bus" for shells (like snare, kick and toms), and one for cymbals/overheads and leave the latter one alone. Also, if applying compression, you could probably do better with setting the attack and release times. Because if not done correctly you will either have too much attack/punch or too little from wrong attack times, or pumping from wrong release times. I would assume, the release time on the drum bus is set too long, and the attack times on some other compressors mostly pretty short/fast since the mix generally could sound a bit punchier, what you will get if you set attack times slower and let more of the transients through. It takes a while to "hear" compression, respectively what´s wrong with it, but when you just started mixing it´s probably enough to just "see" compression for now. Meaning, whatever compressor you try to dial in: Always watch the gain reduction meter, you don´t want it to move to much or even get slammed completely.
Hope that helps!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better (PlasticDish Mix) - by Herb Felho - 15-02-2019, 07:13 PM