Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Nova-One Studio - Four Graham [Mix and Master by AJ]
Hey Alex,

The mix sounds awesome! I played the song and then was about to ask how you got that drum sound, but it's cool that you replaced the snare and kick, whatever gets you where you want, it's inspiring.

The guitars are thick enough but sit well in the mix, same with the vocals, can I ask how you achieved that please? Asking because in this one I was scratching my head (more like pulling my hair) because I was always ending up with thin-ish guitars, taking a lot of the bottom end out, I think it's also because the bass serves the guitars really well also in your mix.

Also personally I like when there are stereo elements to widen the mix, this may be wrong advice on this one as the "mono" sensation may be what makes your mix super impactful, but any elements that drive your left and right ears differently like panning some drum elements hard right and left (like you did) or adding a sound on just one side, splitting the guitars etc. e.g. the guitar lick could have been only on one side, if you check songs like "Take it or leave it" by the Strokes with one guitar strumming that hooky riff throughout the song, that makes it a bit hypnotic. Also I like having the sensation of people playing together in a room. It might be an old school thing as well, with hard panning only as that was the only option on the console.

I like what you did with the intro it's fun!

It's a bit difficult because I was working on it so lost my genuine ear on this a bit. But had I been a first listener I may have said that it would have been cool to play with the vocals throughout the song: the very first verse is cool and widens up after, it's more of a production thing, but I was expecting more treatment on the vocals e.g. first verse with a boxy voice, second maybe a bit wider or adding progressively some distortion, playing with reverb. This is not something I achieved btw and frustrated me, but the vocals are dry even though there's potential for a very produced song, may have been cool to push it toward the pop production type with crazy evolution on the vocals effects, playing with the backvocals etc.

I am also mixing on Logic Pro, your session looks neat! I like the fact that you're using all caps, I'll do that from now on, it's clearer to me. In my world though, drums are red and vocals are blue ahah so I was like OH MY GOD what's happening?

Did you master the song in Logic as well? Can I ask what plug ins you used on your mix bus / what you did when mastering?

Trying to get everything I can think about out Wink anyway, it's all very subtle, your mix sounds awesome and very catchy! It sounds pretty incredible Big Grin

Hope this helps

Quentin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nova-One Studio - Four Graham [Mix and Master by AJ] - by Zbat - 12-02-2019, 12:46 AM