Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mix by Zbat (me)
Greetings, Quentin!

First of all, welcome! Really nice mix, considering you've only been learning for a matter of months, seems like you have a good ear.

Really nice punchy rhythm section. The drums and bass sound great together.
I like the idea of pitching the snare to add fatness, however it adds this slight phaseyness to the snare which is a little distracting to me. I know it's quite a controversial subject, but I wouldn't consider using samples to be "cheating". It's basically commonplace in radio rock/pop like this. The way I look at it, if something sounds better, it sounds better. Doesn't matter if you used samples, doesn't matter if everything is natural, doesn't matter if you spend 3 hours fine tuning a part, or 10 minutes. So with the snare, I'd say don't be afraid to blend in a ballsy sample to get the sound you're hearing in your head, the same way you have with the kick.

Overall I think the vocals sound great. Maybe some automation on delays towards the end of a few lines might sound cool to add a bit of wetness. And those backing vocals in the chorus, I'm not sure what I'd do with them either. I think you're getting somewhere with the slight filtering and that. I'd maybe go a bit further with the effect so it sounds more bold and not just different.

Not much I can say about the guitars and keyboards other than possibly panning the solo towards the centre if it doesn't sound like too jarring of a change. Otherwise, they sound good to me.

But as always, so much of this is taste, and we're all still learning too. Really like the mix though, nice one!

Messages In This Thread
Mix by Zbat (me) - by Zbat - 27-01-2019, 11:00 AM
RE: Mix by Zbat (me) - by Pasta - 28-01-2019, 01:51 AM
RE: Mix by Zbat (me) - by Zbat - 28-01-2019, 03:22 AM
RE: Mix by Zbat (me) - by Pasta - 28-01-2019, 04:28 AM
RE: Mix by Zbat (me) - by Zbat - 28-01-2019, 05:11 AM