Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better (tucks Mix)
Pretty nice mix. From listeners perspective my biggest issue with it is that it seems a bit static -- there is little development. On the other hand it feels good, which is really important. Some minor nits are (I'm only a hobbyist, so please take my feedback with a sizable pinch of salt):

* If you were to make Piano and rhythm guitar a tad quieter, they would provide a better background for the vocal (rather than fighting for attention).
* You could also lift the vocal a bit up during verses and even out some phrases/words like at 1:26 to make it sound even smoother.
* To better balance stereo image within frequency bands you could add opposite-panned delays/reverbs or use (free) Melda's MSpectralPan to keep the signal dry.
* To avoid unnatural sounding snare (in particular during the fill at 1:44) I would use multiple volume-varied samples from the same snare (either from some library or just copy-pasted audio from different places in the song). Also, to help the groove I would try to achieve snare sound that does not highlight the kick/snare time differences too much (it will still feel loose).
* Try to EQ out some of the annoying high frequencies that can be heard during the last chorus. When I have problems pinpointing them by ear, I use spectral view (e.g. Audacity can do that) on individual sources and look for excessively bright spots.

My takeaway from your mix is you vocal sound, feels very natural, and more importantly fits the song and the singer very much.

Messages In This Thread